Greek Ruins and Island Hopping
♦ Start: Athens
♦ Finish: Athens
Explore the ancient ruins of Athens, Greece before boarding a yacht for some island hopping in the Saronic Gulf! A yacht adventure is the ideal way to experience what many consider to be the world’s most beautiful islands. We’ll have our own private sailing yacht with an experienced crew. There will be plenty of time for hiking, snorkeling, kayaking and relaxing as we explore ancient archaeological sites and taverna-lined harbors. We’ll enjoy breakfast and lunch on the boat daily. Evening meals are a cultural and gastronomical experience on this adventure. We’ll dine at a different island each night and enjoy a wonderful selection of fresh seafood and local cuisine. Don’t forget to try the ouzo!
- Explore the ancient ruins of the Acropolis
- Marvel at the ancient theater of Edipaurus
- Sail the beautiful Saronic Gulf from Athens for 7 nights on a private catamaran sailing yacht with an experienced crew and try your hand at sailing, or just relax on deck
- Enjoy authentic Greek food and fresh seafood in waterfront tavernas
- Swim and snorkel in the warm Mediterranean waters off the side of the boat and let the waves rock you to sleep each night
- Star gaze from the deck of our yacht or the shore lined beaches
- Explore the whitewashed villages of Santorini, the most popular island in Greece, if not the world
Is this trip right for you?
- Since part of this trip takes place on a sailing boat, you’ll need to feel comfortable with moving about the vessel, including the use of stairs. With that said, sea legs come naturally to some but not so much for others. You should come prepared in case of the effects of sea sickness.
- This trip takes place in The Saronic Gulf islands, which are great for those looking for beginners and those looking for a more relaxing sailing holiday, due to the islands protected position and generally lower winds. For those looking for a bit more excitement, check out our Greek Islands Sailing Adventure https://adventurepeople.net/tours/greece-cyclades/.
- A zodiac is often used to transport passengers from the boat to the mainland, with landings taking place at piers (dry landings) as well as on beaches (wet landings). Zodiacs can sometimes be awkward to climb in and out of.
- This is an adventure on board a sailing yacht, which means living spaces, cabins, bathrooms and showers need to be shared with other passengers. Sleeping quarters can be quite compact, but you will be spending the majority of your time above board in the open air.
- Please note that smooth sailing is dependent on the weather, so itinerary changes may occur at the last minute if the weather becomes unfavorable. If any changes are made, you can trust in your knowledgeable skipper to choose an alternative route or activity.
- Due to the size of the yachts, sound carries easily from one side to the other and can wake your fellow travelers. If you do enjoy a late night out, please keep this in mind when returning to the yacht or possibly consider booking a room in town for the night so you don’t wake other travelers (and more importantly the skipper) upon your return. It’s important to have fun, but also to respect your shipmates who might be sleeping.
- Summer temperatures in Greece can reach up to 40°C (over 100°F, which can be uncomfortable for those not used to the heat. On the other hand, early or late in the season (April/ October) many businesses may still be closed and the weather is unpredictable, however you may have some of the major sights of the Greek islands almost to yourself. Please consider the time of the year you wish to travel and your suitability to that season.
- Due to the current financial situation, banking services in Greece could potentially become limited at short notice. This includes credit card processing services and servicing of ATMs. When travelling through Greece, please ensure you have more than one means of payment with you (cash, debit cards, credit cards etc.). You’ll also need to have sufficient Euros in cash to cover emergencies, unforeseen circumstances and any unexpected delays.
- Accommodations on this trip are shared. Single travelers will share a room with another traveler of the same sex. If you’d prefer not to share, a single room supplement is available at an additional charge.